Sample Press Release

Project: Press release for a fictional hotel

Objective: To write a compelling press release that would create a buzz in the trade press surrounding a fictional eco-friendly hotel. The press release also needed to be optimised for search.

Ecotek Midlands proves sustainable business travel is compatible with luxury

Figure 1 The new Ecotek Midlands

Business travellers concerned about their carbon footprint needn’t sacrifice comfort and world-class facilities when they visit Birmingham. The new Ecotek Midlands hotel, which opens on 2nd June 2012, proves sustainable business travel is compatible with luxurious accommodation, well-equipped meeting rooms, and superior leisure facilities. The hotel sources 80% of its energy from renewable sources and uses other innovative techniques to cut down on waste and resources.

80% of Ecotek Midlands’ energy is sourced from solar panels installed on the roof, and static bikes in the gymnasium, which generate kinetic energy then store for later use. The remaining 20% is supplied by a green energy supplier.

The entire 320-room hotel – including the 50-metre swimming pool – is heated by ground source heat pumps, which harness natural underground heat. Air conditioning is provided naturally using an innovative architectural technique invented by Spanish architect Gaudi. Elsewhere, wastage has been reduced by installing low-energy appliances and triple glazed windows, and water is recycled on-site and fed back into the system.

Sustainable events and business meetings are made possible by Ecotek Midlands’ 13 well-equipped meeting rooms, ranging from the Maple Room which accommodates 160 delegates, to the Birch Room which hosts 10. All meeting rooms include the latest AV equipment which are connected directly to the solar grid. For informal one-to-one meetings, private booths are available in Aroma Fairtrade coffee shop.

The ethical thinking trickles down to Ecotek Midlands’ bars and restaurants too. Pietanze, Ecotek Midland’s star restaurant, serves Italian tapas made from ingredients sourced from within a twenty-mile radius of Birmingham, and operates a zero-waste policy. Any excess food is donated to the Birmingham Homeless Shelter.

Since its inception in 2001, Ecotek Group has continually led the way in the sustainable business travel arena. The brand mission is to prove to business travellers that cutting their carbon footprint does not mean compromising on quality facilities or luxurious comfort.

In a drive to cut carbon emissions even further, Ecotek Group plans to build its first carbon-neutral hotel in Edinburgh. Bidding for contracts is currently underway and the hotel is projected to open in 2015. The Group aims to be completely carbon neutral by 2025.

Each room has free WI-FI and all guests have access to the gymnasium, sauna, and swimming pool. As well as Pietanze, there are three restaurants, two coffee shops, and a bar located within the hotel, all operating a zero-waste policy.

The general manager of Ecotek Midlands is Marcus Forsyth, formerly assistant manager of the 5-star London Park Elite Hotel in Mayfair, London.

Erika Forsyth is Pietanze’s new restaurant manager. Mrs Forsyth – wife of Marcus Forsyth – joins Ecotek Midlands from Ecotek Heathrow, where she oversaw the rollout of the Sustainable Meetings project during her five years as function manager. The hotel also brings 70 new jobs to the region, including housekeeping, front of house, and catering roles.

‘The Ecotek Midlands is living proof that sustainable business travel is possible,’ says Alice Woodward, spokesperson for Ecotek Group, ‘But travelling sustainably should not mean you have to compromise on luxury or comfort. That’s why we work hard to ensure our facilities such as our 13 meeting rooms, our 50-metre swimming pool, and our fine dining restaurant are up there with other world-class business hotels.’

Accommodation includes 40 singles, 200 double/twins, 20 triples, 20 queens, 20 executive suites, and 20 presidential suites. Rooms start from £59 per person, per night, with a 10% discount for bookings of ten or more rooms. Book online at or call 01234 098765.

– Ends –

Notes to Editors

The Ecotek chain was launched in Berlin in 2001, and has hotels in Paris, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Milan, Geneva, Zurich, Brussels, Amsterdam, Athens, London Heathrow, and Birmingham.

Ecotek Group’s hotels are popular with business travellers seeking high-quality but affordable accommodation near Europe’s main airport hubs and motorway networks.

Ecotek Group has won several awards for its innovative measures for cutting carbon emissions, and aims to be fully carbon neutral by 2025.

For further information or for high-resolution images, please contact:

Francesca Richardson, Press Officer, Ecotek Midlands

Tel: 01234 567890

Mob: 07812 345678

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *